We make the following recommendations or guidelines because after over fifteen years of hosting retreats we know they work.
- Five days a week, we have Quiet Hours (Quiet Hours means there will be no noise in the common areas, and respectful quiet in the rooms during these hours.):
9AM to 12 PM.
2PM to 5:00 PM.
10 PM to 7 AM.
- Saturdays and Sundays are days off.
- Barters receive a complimentary room in exchange for approximately 3 days of work per week. A schedule will be assigned upon arrival. Barters represent the owners and are expected to be professional about their stay. As well as their specific project (gardening, bringing in wood, painting or admin for example) barters take the initiative to keep the house clean and functioning smoothly.
- Any collaborative work or discussions of projects are held quietly in private rooms, or in the dining area.
- Noise levels during social hours inside and outside the house must always be respectful of the peaceful natural environment and our neighbors.
- Residents are here to create. What we provide is not heavy on service; we give you a beautiful, affordable space in which to get your work done.
- This is not a tourist visit. We would be happy to schedule readings one night a week; dinners one night a week; and outings in the region one day a week.
- All common areas must be cleared of personal items, including books and laptops and notebooks.
- Rooms are to be kept tidy.
- No food or drink in the rooms.
- No smoking in the house.
- Kitchens and dining areas must be cleaned after mealtimes.
- Anything that is damaged must be paid for.
- Retreat Stay: Three weeks, one week, or as agreed upon in the application process. You can check out our calendar for more information.
- Residents who disrespect the mission of the house and the goals of other residents will be encouraged to enjoy their time elsewhere.
- The management reserves the right to ask anyone to leave at any time.
- No refunds. However, if a resident pays for a room and is unable to come we do our best to fill that room with another applicant and in that case will refund payment. If we are unable to find someone else to fill that room we do our best to transfer the reservation to another retreat period pending availability.
Basically, our guidelines encourage respect for your own work, other residents’ work, our house, and our neighbors.
The purpose of each guideline is to support a true retreat from life back home.
Even though we have WiFi we are as much a machine-free house as we can be so that you can clear your mental desktops to find peace and inspiration through discipline and solace.
The point is to disconnect in order to connect.
Keep in mind, too, as you read this website, that we offer all this information for the sake of convenience and clarity.
La Muse is a unique concept, and we figure it is helpful for you to have information.
You may feel a little like the blind leading the blind when you first arrive, but you will soon settle in and feel right at home.